Celebrating Excellence

Tinsae Tadele, Entertainment Editor

As the gymnasium filled with roaring applause, Eaglecrest students lined up to be recognized for their compelling work ethic both in and out of the classroom. These awards not only reflect the excellence of these hard-working students, but EHS’ ability to strive for excellence.

The annual excellence assembly is a way of honoring students who have shown incredible talent academically and athletically. These students are given excellence medals if they have received a 3 or higher on at least 3 AP tests. To some this may seem like an easy task, but in fact it is very difficult. Many sleepless nights and stressful days outside of the school have led up to the moment where these students were awarded their excellence medals.

“I feel recognized for all the stuff I do outside of the classroom and at home. It was nice to see all my hard work pay off,” says Myanmar Schulz, Senior.

By recognizing the work people have put into academics, Eaglecrest is creating an environment where students are expected to challenge themselves. Incoming students can see a standard of diligence and excellence set by their predecessors and strive to not only meet, but also exceed the expectation set by people who have received excellence medals.

“I think this kind of recognition shows that there are a lot of good things happening at Eaglecrest,” replied English teacher Doug Cole, who read off names during the assembly.

The amount of students who are AP scholars is a representation of Eaglecrest creating opportunities for students to push themselves to see the full extent of their academic ability. This is also an illustration of students working hard to further their education even after high school. Eaglecrest molds students who want to enter their adult lives as educated citizens. The excellence award is given to students who have continuously pushed themselves to be at the top of their class. These awards are a testament to the work that students have done in the past couple of years.

“This is really telling of how many people value academics. I had classes with most of the people who won awards and they are all really hard-working,” responded Liben Hagos, senior.

These students have accomplished a lot due to their drive and desire to achieve their dreams and goals. Whether they were motivated by their families, a desire to be successful, or they’re a perfectionist, these students’ desires to work hard have significantly paid off in many ways, including this assembly. Rediate Negash, a senior, was motivated by her parents who had immigrated here and worked hard so that she could devote herself to her school work.

“They came and sacrificed their lives so that I could have the opportunity to excel in every aspect of my life, predominately academically. I’m glad that I get to honor their sacrifice by receiving an AP scholar award,” said Negash.