The student news site of Eaglecrest High School

EHS Nest Network

EHS Nest Network

EHS Nest Network

The Class of ‘24 Says Goodbye

EHS’s support when it comes to pursuing higher education and what some seniors future plans entail.

College  is the beginning of most people’s greatest memories, adventures, and relationships.  As we climb deeper into the second semester of the 2023-24 school year, Eaglecrest seniors are committing to colleges and deciding what they want their future to look like.  Choosing a college to attend can be an overwhelming experience because a lot of seniors are finally leaving home and beginning a new chapter of their life,  learning various life skills to successfully live on their own and manage their time, health, and academics properly.  EHS offers every single one of their students a smooth path to achievement and contentment.

“I would say this school named Providence College in Providence, Rhode Island, there’s Husson University in Maine, they did give me the most money, so it’s looking like that, and Knox College, it’s in Galesburg, Illinois, and my brother went there,” said EHS senior Saleshma Dahal on her college prospects.  

Senior Salshma Dahal speaks on her future after varsity tennis practice at Eaglecrest High School on March 9th, 2024. (Sophia Mower)

Being accepted into your top dream college is what all students hope for while pursuing higher education, but that is not always realistic.  Going to smaller or less prestigious colleges that offer you the highest amount of scholarship money is always a reasonable path to follow because you do not have to stress over your future financial situation, there is less competition, and there are still large chances of success, even though some some opportunities may be lost to bigger and more expensive schools.  Following in your family’s footsteps is also not a bad way to go, as your loved ones can help you simply navigate your college life and expand your chances of success.  Teachers are a common contributing factor to your college plans too.

“Dr. Kemp, my junior year AP lang teacher influenced my college decisions,” said Dahal.  “He’s very into liberal arts schools and thinks that they give you a good education for a really good price.”

Liberal arts schools strictly study the arts, and nothing else.  All types of colleges offer various, enlightening programs.  Although most students go to public or private colleges, or universities for four or more years and earn  a bachelors, masters, or doctorates degree, a lot of young adults today are pursuing trade school and are learning technical skills for a specific career, or are first attending two years of community college and accepting their associates degree.  Although more prestigious schools tend to impress company leaders, anyone is likely to be successful in whatever career path they chase regardless of what school they attend.  Having the degree to pursue your chosen career is all that matters.

“I’m planning on continuing my education at [Colorado State University] in Fort Collins,” said senior Kate Stephens.  “I’m going somewhere in state because it is a lot cheaper, I get to be closer to my family, and I’m still getting a really good education.”

Roughly 73% of students go to an in-state college, according to the Education Data Initiative. You are able to count on your families in hard times instead of trying to solve unfamiliar issues on your own when attending an in-state college.  The tuition is much lower when attending an in-state school and even when you are attending a college in the general area of your hometown.  The Western Undergraduate Exchange is less money than going out of state, but a little bit more than going instate.  These lower rates tend to motivate students to work hard and proceed into college.  A great number of students also feel like they can study more demanding and difficult topics because they do not have to stress about the factors of living somewhere completely new and having to adapt to a new environment.

“Eaglecrest helped me learn to love myself for who I am and embrace my individuality,” said Stephens.  “I’m not afraid to express myself or pursue what I believe in and want.”

A lot of teenagers are very afraid to go after their goals in today’s society because they are afraid of what their peers will think of them if they do so.  Going to school in a welcoming environment such as Eaglecrest makes teenagers feel more comfortable in their own skin.  Spending roughly 8 hours a day, 5 days a week in a building with people who have an open and accepting mindset and let others do as they please without disrupting them is going to leave high schoolers going into the rest of their lives feeling confident and like they can fight back against the tragedies life throws their way.

“I’m pursuing applied mathematics and physics because I’m interested in understanding how the world works,” senior David Pupko said.  “I think some way or another I’ll be able to help people.”

Pupko is one of the top students in the class of 2024.  EHS has given him a variety of opportunities that many other schools will never be able to have because of its large size and hopeful educators.  He is going to go to college at Duke University in North Carolina.  Although he was set on going to an Ivy League school, he realized that he could go further and make the most out of his career attending Duke instead.  Duke only has a 6.3% acceptance rate and is one of the very best schools in the entirety of the United States.  It is better to overachieve at a less prestigious school than to appear as an average student at the most prestigious schools in the world.  It is simply unrealistic and harmful to put too much academic pressure on yourself.

Choosing a career that you love is the most important thing when applying for colleges and jobs.  It is always appealing to go after a job that will sufficiently pay and support you, but it is not always worth it if you are dreading your choices everyday and wishing for more.  Being rich in experiences and joy is superior to being rich with money.  Feeling like you are doing good for your community and helping society with its challenges leaves you feeling rewarded and significantly satisfied.  People are more likely to feel as though they have lived their life to its fullest by working to heal others, the planet, etc.  You can avoid a lot of troubles that you see other adults going through today if you just stick to what you are passionate about.

This year’s senior class will go on to do great things and impact the world in all the best ways.  Each and every student has worked hard and will continue to work hard to succeed and reach their full potentials.  EHS’s community, its staff, and its accepting students make its graduating students feel fully prepared and at ease about entering adulthood and doing well in college and the workforce.