‘Hear My Truth’: Women’s March

Hannah Khalil, Editor-in-Chief

Following the inauguration of President Trump in January 2017, rallies formed throughout the nation and globe in solidarity for human rights and particularly the health and political rights of women.

The site marchoncolorado.org, that represents the women’s movement in Colorado, came to this year’s event on Saturday, January 20th at Civic Center Park with a renewed approach to the ever growing struggle for women’s issues.

This year’s theme was “Hear my Truth” in which a focus on inclusivity of women of all social classes, genders, and ethnicities was placed.

Beginning on Bannock St. towards 13th Avenue protesters marched along Denver streets, wielding signs of many themes, with many wearing the infamous “pink hat” that was a symbol of the movement at last year’s event.

A pre-rally began earlier that morning with several speakers and artists amping up the energy in the park.

Many post-rally speeches also commenced after demonstrators completed the 1-mile march route around the city center.

Kim Desmond, emcee of the rally, along with Candi CdeBaca the co-founder of Project Voyce, poet/activist Karen Roberts Grissom, and singer and Billboard Top 100 veteran Rajdulari were just a few of those who spoke and performed.

Eaglecrest students showed their advocation for the women’s movement by participating in 2018 Women’s March.

“Going to the Women’s March was a very humbling experience. It was amazing to see so many women coming together to empower each other. Seeing so many women support one another was incredibly,” senior Shannon Elliott says while reflecting on her experience.

Senior Sydney Wiggs shared her thoughts on the movement by saying, “I chose to participate in the Women’s March because I feel what female representation in the government is so small and it is important to make our voices heard. Plus, I believe that everyone deserves fundamental human rights and the ability to be treated as an equal among their peers.”

Another characteristic feature of the rally were the women, men, and children showcasing their ideas through the usage signs that bore a variety of messages.

Signs bearing the message: ‘Our bodies, our business, our rights,’ ‘End White supremacy,’ and ‘Daughter of an Immigrant’ were all pictured at the protest, proudly on display.

Inspired by conversations with her former Spanish teacher Edith Mestas in her final year at Eaglecrest, EHS alumni Miranda Jernberg, Class of 2017, continued her path of self discovery as a Latina woman at the Women’s March in Los Angeles. Her sign toted at the march recognized women in science of all ethnicities forgotten by history.

“I got to hear a lot of amazing women speak before the march began, but what really resonated with me was the amount of passion I heard from Latina women. They had an entire crowd of all types of people chanting, “Si se puede!” Jernberg reflects.

Throughout the millions of women who gathered on the 20th to fight for equality, the mutual goal was simple. Total and comprehensive human rights.