Eaglecrest Opens Nominations for Teacher of the Year

Kenzie Prendergast, Reporter

Voting for Teacher of the Year at Eaglecrest ended on Monday, November 20th and results are out at the end of December before winter break. This award is used to honor teachers that have impacted students’ lives and gives the students a way to return the favor.

Many teachers work more hours than the busiest of students to ensure they are giving their all to the classroom and help students succeed. This hard work doesn’t go unnoticed.

Students have been voting from a list of eligible teachers for this award and many seem to be in agreement about the award and what it means. Being that there are prerequisites such as having worked in the district for five years, as well as be a full time teacher, some controversy has been sparked.

Due to the requirement of being a full-time teacher, sophomore Erin Cozort,  believes “some of the people in this building who are some of the most caring and hardworking adults don’t have the option to get this award…”

Freshman Tessa Giles believes that it isn’t a fair requirement because of the work any teacher puts in, “That touch students lives, but don’t get what they deserve because they are just part time.”

Sophomore Zoe Griffiths,  agrees saying, “I think any teacher should have the opportunity to get the award.”

Senior Jade Felton strongly aligns with these other viewpoints saying, “If students are positively influenced by the teacher, it really shouldn’t matter how many hours they teach.”

Teachers, on the other hand, have a different viewpoint of the requirements, seemingly  understanding the deeper complexity. While students seem to focus on the fact teachers must be full time to be nominated, teachers focused on the five year requirement more.

English teacher Heather Fraase thinks that those who give the award are experienced enough to set the correct expectations. Fraase states that the rules should exist for this award for a couple of reasons, “First, longevity can show dedication to the students. Second, the first three years in the district are probationary.”

This means a teacher may be let go in the first three years for not being a good fit. Therefore getting the award after passing the probationary period shows that a teacher is a good fit for the district.  

Social studies teacher Rusty McCleave agrees that there shouldn’t be a problem with the five year requirement. He states, “We should want our Teachers of The Year to be committed to the Eaglecrest community and Cherry Creek School District long term.  But also, we should stop and recognize the contributions our veteran teachers have made to the culture and climate of an exceptional high school.”

Other students have taken a firm stand against the requirements and think any staff member should be allowed to be nominated. But it’s clear from sophomore Rian Nelson, that all teachers deserve a nomination because, “They are all doing amazing, and doing amazing things.”

Griffiths added that all teachers deserve recognition for the hard work they put into their students.

This doesn’t go unnoticed by those very teachers.  “It is a real honor for someone to think of me having a positive impact on their education. The job is too hard to do it for the money or the summers off,” McCleave said.  “It gives me a great feeling of accomplishment and success that someone would take their time to say thank you and that they were better off for having me as their teacher.”

Math teacher Eric Anderson says he understands many teachers are nominated every year and that speaks volumes as to the kind of staff at Eaglecrest.

Fraase also believes that, “Everyone wants to hear that they are doing a good job, and this is the perfect avenue to tell teachers that they are appreciated.”

Social studies teacher Sparky Adair, takes this as a reflection of how his teaching style is benefiting students and states, “I try and use humor and stories to make learning relevant to the subject I teach.”  

He isn’t alone, McCleave also believes humor and using fun tactics is the best way to engage students in the classroom.

Fraase believes rules are essential in her classroom, but that doesn’t go to the extent of being a dictator. She tries to be consistent but understanding, and is very popular with students about her phone policy by believing that instead of removing them from the class students should use phones for their benefit and as she puts it, “practice cell phone etiquette, social media dangers, and how to use all the amazing benefits.” While Anderson takes a stricter view of absolutely no phones out in class.

While these teachers vary in many ways with their teaching, all have found ways to reach students and change their lives.

Band teacher, and last year’s recipient of the award, Jason Mabrey, leaves this year’s nominees with simple, yet truthful words, “Enjoy the ride. Obviously you have made an impact on many students and families and you deserve the recognition” he said.

Whether or not students and staff  agree on requirements or classroom rules, it’s clear these teachers have all impacted students on some level in all of their lives.

Anderson sums up his feelings by saying, “I work with a phenomenal group of teachers across all the subject areas, and EHS has hard-working students who bring their own special abilities to school every day as well.  These two factors make it a joy to come to this building every day.”