Racing Into the Cross Country Season

Simone Beauchamp, Reporter

149 runners lined up at the start to the varsity girls cross country race last Friday, August 30th. Nervous energy abounded at the starting line, where the girls prepared to race the 3.1 miles around a portion of Washington Park. It had been raining intermittently, but the clouds opened and the sun glared overhead as the gun sounded. The racers were off, flying over the 5K course that wrapped around a small lake, looping twice over a course of grass, gravel, and concrete. This was Eaglecrest’s second meet of the season, and with 27 other schools competing, the competition was fierce and plentiful. 

Teammates stood cheering on the sidelines as the competitors ran by, arms pumping and strides lengthening as they pushed to pass each other. Junior Delaney Dunlop rounded the corner and picked up the pace, passing two competitors as she sprinted the finish to complete the 5K race in 22 minutes and 19 seconds. 

Dunlop said “The Wash Park meet showed me that despite how much pain you’re in and how much you want to fall down and breathe, you can’t. You have to keep going.” She adds, “It made me a better runner.”

The first race of the meet was the girl’s open race, where nine of our runners raced a 2 mile loop. Alissa Hampe crossed first in 16 minutes and 7 seconds, followed 38 seconds later by Val Mullen. 

Mullen, who along with Hampe is returning from injury, said the meet would be “A good contribution to my season because it was my first race back from injury.” 

Placing twelfth, the team as a whole did well for their second meet of the season, and plan to use the meet to better prepare for their upcoming races. 

Varsity ran next, and seven Eaglecrest girls lined up at the start, racing, and eventually placing the team in fifteenth. Evanna Puller, Samara Schoch, and Bri Mullen, all freshmen, ran in the varsity race alongside Delaney Dunlop and returning sophomores Anessa Beecher, Mia Fischer, and Elizabeth Carlson. After a successful first meet, the second meet allowed the runners to find their rhythm and gain more experience before their third meet, which will take place Thursday, September 5th. 

Dunlop says she that although she is “nervous as always” for the upcoming meet, she hopes to run the 5K in under 22 minutes, or to at least run a season personal record (PR). To prepare, Dunlop says she makes sure to stretch, sleep enough, and eat well. Mullen gave the advice,  “Before a meet, I have to get myself into a positive mindset because your mindset really affects your performance,” she says. 

As the team heads into another meet, they continue to work together in practice and in races. Wash Park was a stepping stone towards a strong season for Eaglecrest’s cross country girls team.