YMCA Student Council Retreat

Huria Taj, Reporter

During the spring, roughly a week after school ended, Student council, along with two other sectors went on a retreat at the YMCA camp. 

As Rashaan  Davis, the student leadership advisor and sponsor puts it, “ The retreat is an opportunity for bonding”. Students from all grade levels, including incoming freshman, spent days getting to know peers as well as planning events such as spirit week and homecoming. 

The event was primarily planned by Davis along with a few other members of student leadership. Though the main intent was for students to get to know each other, they were very successful at planning homecoming week, and even deciding on a theme: Game On! During this time, they also decided on what cause Eaglecrest will focus on. They sat down with the director of the  Leukemia Lymphoma Society to come up with fundraising ideas and ways to inform students on the issue. 

Besides planning homecoming week, , the goal of the retreat was to be on top of things this school year and to have an agenda made. 

“Getting spirit days and talking is what helped us prepare for this year because we are already on top of that and that’s what helped us prepare this year,” Andrew Truong, a junior class officer said. 

Along with the abundance of the work they did, they also had some free time. They staged an “American Idol” style karaoke event. Where students would compete by singing. 

Though there was a time commitment, being it was during summer break, many called the retreat priceless, specifically, Tanya Harris, saying ” For me, It’s priceless, because I love what I do. It was priceless to me because it’s always good to see the students getting actively involved in student leadership. It’s always good seeing them take an agenda or project and roll with it.”

The overall energy of the retreat was fun. Students seemed to have a good time as well as the teachers. It was a great time for students to get to know each other and to plan things for the new school year.