The student news site of Eaglecrest High School

EHS Nest Network

EHS Nest Network

EHS Nest Network

High School and Tattoos

Student and teacher insight into what role tattoos play in the lives of teenagers.

Tattoos have fluctuated in popularity over the years. As they become more popular, they also start to become more popular among younger generations. Walking through the hallways students may catch sight of a few tattoos on their peers, or even on a teacher. According to Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital, an estimated 10-23 percent of the teenage population has tattoos. Everyone has different opinions and ideas when it comes to tattoos, and this variety is being demonstrated throughout the walls of EHS.

Over 60% of adolescents are at least interested in tattoos (Data from John Hopkins All Children’s Hospital).

Teachers have undoubtedly seen many tattoos throughout their careers. Renee Tahja was open and comfortable talking about the topic of tattoos on students. 

“Honestly I don’t really look that closely but I would say maybe about 10 percent of all the students I see have tattoos,” Tahja said. 

Tahja believes that it isn’t a teacher’s decision to make when it comes to students getting tattoos.

“I think it’s more of a parental thing, whether or not a student’s parents would allow them to get tattoos,” said Tahja. “And, we have come so far with technology as far as tattoo removal that it doesn’t bother me, I’m okay with it.” 

Tahja’s opinion on student tattoos ties in with her views on parental consent.

“I think 18 is good, 18 is the cut off that society follows and we all make mistakes but I don’t think a tattoo is a catastrophic one by any means.”

A meaningful tattoo that Trevor and his brother both have (Sophie Kazlaskia).

Tahja’s opinions, though they may not reflect the opinions of all teachers, they mirror how society is starting to become more accepting of tattoos in the workplaces and public spaces in general. However, this transition could be seen as a slow one as many may feel indifferent to opinions like Tahja’s.

Students with tattoos may spark many different conversations from their peers, some of which may not have the opportunity to be talked about. Grace Garcia was willing to share her opinions on the topic, as someone with tattoos herself. 

“I have a few tattoos. One on my ankle, one on my hand, and a couple on my arm that I regret; that I’m in the process of getting lasered off.”

Garcia believes that people should not be able to get tattoos when they aren’t able to do other things that are considered ‘adult’ activities.

“Whatever you want now, you might not want in the future. While this may be controversial, I think the minimum age limit for tattoos should be 21 because at 18 you’re still a kid and why should you be able to get a tattoo but not alcohol?.” 

Trevor Decoq also has tattoos and is about to get his third one. As someone who is actively getting tattoos, he believes students getting tattoos is not a serious issue.

“I don’t think high school students getting tattoos is an issue as long as the tattoo has meaning because without meaning there is a higher chance you’ll regret it when you’re older.” 

Decoq got his first tattoo when he was 14 and believes family dynamics should play more of a role than age. ”I don’t think there has to be a specific age when it comes to when you can get tattoos, it really just depends on what you and your family are comfortable with.” 

Trevor’s intricate tattoos hold a lot of meaning for him and each one has had a great deal of thought put into them. 

Zebra stripes symbolize rare disability (Sophie Kazlaskia).

“I have a zebra tattoo and zebra stripes are the symbol for rare disabilities, which is what I have; and then on my right forearm I have a DNA tree and it shows that it is growing into something different, but beautiful. My tattoo shows that even though what I have to deal with is different, it still is beautiful and not necessarily a bad thing. I also have roots at the end of the tree because I don’t let my disability define me but it’s also the roots of who I am today.” 

Ricky Salazar does not have any tattoos but he has his own reasoning for that. 

“I think high school students should wait to get tattoos unless they’re already done growing. If you get a tattoo and you grow out of it, it’s just going to mess with the look of it.” 

Salazar does not believe that high school students are mature enough to get tattoos and make permanent changes to their bodies. 

“Your brain isn’t even fully developed. High schoolers probably shouldn’t impulsively get something permanent.” 

Salazar believes that 21 is an appropriate age to get tattoos similarly to how 21 is the age that society deems mature enough to do things that minors cannot, similar to Garcia’s opinion.

“21 is a good age to get tattoos. You are mature enough to do most things in life, so you should be mature enough to make a personal and permanent change to your body.” 

Whether people have tattoos or not, everyone has their own opinions and perspectives on the subject. In a world that is constantly changing, especially when it comes to how tolerant people are and can be towards new forms of self expression, there is bound to be discourse.

A DNA tree that represents how individuality can be extraordinary (Sophie Kazlaskia).