EHS Raptors Change Lives Together

Connor+sports+his+Eaglecrest+gear.+

Caroline Wheeler

Connor sports his Eaglecrest gear.

Jaden Brumage, Reporter

For this year’s Wish Week, Eaglecrest has helped raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) and Connor, a local nine year-old boy that has had Leukemia since he was a baby. Connor has been on the road to recovery and has been cancer-free for a little over three months. The group effort from the student body allowed a total of $4,731.72 to be donated to LLS.

Student Leadership’s involvement in planning Wish Week has given them a passion and a cause to develop a relationship with Connor. A small group of representatives spent the afternoon of Sunday, February 10th visiting and bonding with Eaglecrest’s “hero.”

As a group, Student Leadership “put together a basket for Connor and his family. In the basket were a bunch of Connor’s favorite toys like Legos that he could play with,” describes Julia Blethen, the sophomore class president.

When the group arrived, “[Connor] was so excited! He hasn’t had friends or many outsiders come over in two years due to the severity of him being exposed to germs,” Caroline Wheeler, a senior Student Council member, states.

Blethen describes the experience: “Connor’s reaction was priceless. I loved seeing how surprised and happy he was that he was able to get visitors!”

“We spent the afternoon putting together the legos, talking with him and his family, and playing Disney Crossy Roads,” Blethen says.

“He was laughing and smiling the whole time and was very sad when we had to leave,” adds Wheeler.

Although nothing is definite, Student Leadership plans on visiting him again and staying] in contact with him and his family.

Malia Logan, a sophomore representative, states that “it was one thing to recognize him during the week and support him, but to be able to meet him and hang out with him was something so special and changed my perspective in many ways.” She adds, “it made me feel so warm and good to see how I was impacting someone else’s life on that level. [It] changed my life just as much as it did for him. It reminded me why I love to give and serve others and lift others in our community up and I will never forget meeting Connor. Such an amazing experience!”

The impact of visiting Connor was far more than developing a relationship for Student Leadership. “Seeing Connor and how happy a kid could be in his condition is honestly breathtaking. I couldn’t imagine what him and his family have gone through and to be able to go and see how much they thrive is truly empowering. I loved the experience all around and hope to have more experiences like this,” remarks Blethen.

Caroline Wheeler
From left, Julia Blethen, Caroline Wheeler, Rian Nelson, and Malia Logan visit Connor (middle).