Sounding Off on the Holidays: Part Two

Leo Nibbe, Reporter

First semester is coming to its end, and everyone is preparing for the upcoming Winter Break. For many, that means Christmas is just around the corner-Hallmark movies are all over tv, ice-skating rinks are popping up, parades are marching through town, and everyone is decking out their houses in a colorful array of lights. But there are also an equal number, or even larger, amount of people who either don’t celebrate Christmas, or celebrate it along with another holiday.

For me and my family, we still celebrate Christmas, but not so much in a religious sense, but more of a coming together of our family. We have some Christian roots, but we are not as in touch with those as we are our Jewish roots. Therefore, we also celebrate Chanukah this time of year. On December 12th, my family will gather around the dining room table again as we put the first two candles in the menorah, and light them while simultaneously reciting the Chanukah prayer:

Barukh atah Adonai, Eloheinu, melekh ha’olam asher kidishanu b’mitz’votav v’tzivanu l’had’lik neir shel Chanukah. (Amein) (Hebrew)

Blessed are You, the Lord our God, King of the universe, Who sanctified us with His commandments, and commanded us to kindle the Chanukah light. (English)

We usually eat Latkes (potato pancakes) and Matzo ball soup and crackers throughout the 8 days. But we also put our Christmas tree up. We see this time of year from more of a bonding perspective, a time to make reparations, spend time together, get to know each other better, and to make it joyous. We embrace the culture that surrounds our family as a method for doing this. We will have conversations and make jokes lighting the candles, putting up the Christmas tree, eating Matzo ball soup, or even watching cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies.

This time of year can be quite hectic, but we make it all worth it by spending time with family. But I think this applies to everyone, no matter what you celebrate, this time of year. Everyone become a bit more joyous and amiable and much more kind-hearted this time of year, and it is truly a time for bonding for EVERYONE, no matter race, ethnicity, religion, etc.