Giving Thanks and Good Eating

EHS ILC celebrates Thanksgiving with staff, students, and families.

Something+to+be+Thankful+For%3A+Ericka+Swanson+and++Ben+Alman+enjoy+a+meal+during+the+ILC+Thanksgiving+celebration.+

Logan Angotti

Something to be Thankful For: Ericka Swanson and Ben Alman enjoy a meal during the ILC Thanksgiving celebration.

Logan Angotti, Reporter

The last Thursday of every November is recognized as a day of coming together, enjoying company, food and giving thanks for all we have–Thanksgiving.

And for ILC at EHS they get to enjoy this holiday before the nationally recognized Thanksgiving day. The ILC come together and have a feast the Friday before Thanksgiving week. This is a big day for them as well as teachers, admin. and staff who are invited to the lunch. The many benefits of this event include incredible amounts of food, music, dancing and fun for everyone. ILC students get to enjoy the company of their peers, their parents, as well as some of the teachers they have had at EHS .

Mr. Emerson from the science department defined this feast as his own way to kick off the holiday season. Emerson stated that, “I’ve been going ever since they started doing it, I don’t know when they started doing that but I’ve gone every year since.” Emerson said he really enjoys going because the food is always good and they do an amazing job setting up and preparing for all the teachers and ILC students to enjoy. “It’s like a good pre-Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving dinner.”

Mr. Zeman from the math department stated that he has been to a few of them. He stated that the food they prepare is always fantastic. Zeman’s  “…favorite part is being able to enjoy a meal with the students and teachers in the ILC.” He also sees it is one of the first big events of the holiday season and a fantastic way to kick off the holiday season.

Mrs. Rietveld from the ILC department explained that this was her first year going to the ILC Thanksgiving. She enjoyed meeting the parents of students in the ILC that she doesn’t normally teach. Rietveld recognizes that the party, “means to give thanks for those who we work so closely with.” She stated how the celebration shows the school how they all work together in the ILC.

Melissa Harmer in the ILC described it as a great time, “getting to eat food with friends and family.” Harmer explained that the students help set everything up and how it was hard work. However, she had a great time and can’t wait to celebrate again.

Kami Woods in the ILC enjoyed her first time getting to experience the feast. She loved getting to meet new people as well as “hanging out with lots of friends and getting to eat good food.”

Alex Hunt in the ILC had a blast. He had fun getting to hangout with all the teachers. He has been to the last 3 so he knows what the experience is like and he, “loved getting to hangout with family and friends.”

Logan Gaimara has been to a couple before but still enjoys them every single time. He loved hanging out with all the other students. Gaimara thought the food was really good and had lots of fun. And although, “I had to help clean up,” Gaimara said, “… it was worth it.”