Waiting For A Meaning

Tyler Hardin, Reporter

On January 31 through December 2 the Harley Quinn acting class at Eaglecrest High School performed the play “Waiting For Godot” by Samuel Beckett. Each night a different cast performed and each play had its own twist on Beckett’s play.

In 1949 Beckett wrote the play “Waiting For Godot”. Beckett originally wrote the show in French and translated it to English. The show follows the story of two people named Gogo and Didi, who do nothing. They go nowhere and do nothing but wait for Godot. The play is supposed to be portrayed with male actors, and only male actors. But since there are multiple casts for this show, they all contain female cast members. Each group performing this show has a different interpretation of it, one is more comedic, one is more depressing, and one is a mix of both. The general synopsis of “Waiting for Godot” is:

Act 1: Estragon (Gogo) and Vladimir (Didi) together are waiting for a strange man named Godot. While waiting for the stranger they come across two other people, Pozzo and Lucky, who befriend them. Godot does not arrive, but a messenger of him.

Act 2: Didi and Gogo continue to wait. They run into Pozzo and Lucky again. Godot never arrives.

On Thursday Nov. 20th was the first full showing of Waiting for Godot, with an all female cast. The cast Featured Kylee Hallada as Didi, Erin Cozort as Gogo, Jaclyn Connelly as Pozzo, and Madi Bearden as Lucky. This all female cast is considered the funniest amongst all three performances, with the mixture of absurdism and pure clown form comedy.

“With such a little cast it makes the show more unique, we all had our own part to play in the making of the show” Said Riley Cox chief of construction for the show. “We all had a unique addition to the setting and the performance.”

The second night performance on December 1st had Cameren Slaughter playing Didi, Abby Fennell playing Gogo, Armando Arteaga playing Pozzo, and Natalie Ivaniszek playing Lucky. This was considered the darker and more depressing of all of the performances, where the actors would take lines that could be jokes and turn them into existential thoughts.

“I think we took the darker take because of who we are as actors and we feel that absurdism is to natural to the world,” said Abby Fennell.

On the final performance night of December 2nd we saw the mixture performance. Played by Jesse Davis as Didi, Sarah Jenkins as Gogo, Michael Brown as Pozzo, and Grace Messmer as Lucky. The group of actors described their performance as a “tragicomedy” with aspects of both humor and darkness.