Stepping on Toes

Hawa Dansoko, Reporter

As you’re walking to your 1st period class with only 2 minutes of passing period left, you begin to wonder why the hallways are so crowded, and why so many Freshmen were sent to EHS this year.

With over 2,544 students it has become apparent that the hallways are a problem during passing period. And students struggle to get to class on time even with a 7 minute passing period

When asked if a crowded hallway makes an unfriendly environment junior Tsion Mammo replied,  “ Yes because there’s a lot of pushing and shoving which makes people agitated. Especially when someone steps on your shoes.”  Mammo continued, “I get to class like 30 seconds before the bell rings, if I’m not lucky I’ll end up being tardy.”

Junior Claire Mieke proposed a solution, “We should emphasize on what side of the hall way students coming should walk on and what students going the opposite way should walk.”

When asked what the biggest issue is with the hallaway Mieke noted that, “The staircase is the biggest issue, because at the top of the staircase there’s people continuing to the end of hallway while there are others going down the stairs and some going up. It stops the flow and creates even bigger traffic.”

Main Office and AVID assistant Alice Braden Hansen proposed a solution to the crowded hallway “ I’ve thought of one way hallways, like a specific hallway for going a specific way.”

Students agree that a crowded hallway makes an unfriendly environment. There needs to be a system in place in order to minimize the effects of this incredibly crowded environment.

Mr. DeRose admitted that crowded hallways are a problem at Eaglecrest. Specifically DeRose stated that, “ So on the SouthEast second floor of the science hallway exit where the stairs goes up the hallway one meets , the East main hall we noticed some major congestion there so we worked on staggering some lunch releases and things like that to address some of the issues.”

Mr O’Brien, business and finance teacher, stated,“ Well I think people get claustrophobic sometimes in tight spaces and you’re not able to move swiftly , so you feel restricted so that just causes you know it’s like being stuck in traffic. Your patience level just goes way down so then I think tensions run higher.  It just kinda makes a commutative effect environment”

Mr. Kesler summed up the crowded hallway situation saying, “ I think it makes people stress out and be less considerate so it’s harder to be as courteous as we should be to others when we find ourselves in a crowded environment.”