A Story for the DECA-des

Dustin Carlson

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT: Eaglecrest DECA practices by taking tests in a computer labs on October 31st to prepare themselves for districts on November 20th.

Dustin Carlson, Reporter

The Eaglecrest DECA team is striving to pose as a challenge to other schools at the district competition at the Arapahoe County Fairgrounds on November 20th, by taking tests and reading documents to provide them with the information they need to win.

Eaglecrest DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America) team has participated in numerous competitions throughout the season. DECA is a worldwide organization striving to educate high school and college students in leadership and entrepreneurship. There are 3,500 high schools with DECA , with 200,000 current members. DECA’s goal is to teach students business practices.

Brittany Blechar is one of the primary teachers involved in assisting the Eaglecrest team. The Eaglecrest team, as well as other high school teams, compete with each other, covering topics ranging from entrepreneurship to customer service.

At Eaglecrest, there are 6  different teams; Business Management and Administration, Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Finance, Hospitality and Tourism, and Personal Financial Literacy. Each team works with each other to “bounce off ideas,” said Isabella Martinez, a sophomore in DECA. “Since I’m on a team, I do really well with my partner to bounce off ideas from one another.”

Martinez continued, “It may seem like it’s not the best thing and people think it’s a nerdy club, but really we have so much fun and we just laugh and goof around.”

A key part of DECA is competing at the State and National level. The team competes in Invitationals, or mock trials, to prepare them for competitions. Wyatt Haman, one of the team senators, explained what goes on during one of these Invitationals.

Haman notes that, “Basically you’re given a scenario and you have to answer the scenario to the best of your ability.”

“I’m really excited to see how we do in districts. That’s why we are working on our test right now because we know that is our weakness. Our role plays are our strengths, so I’m excited and I think we are going to do really well at districts.” said Trinidy Girard, who described the challenging process in role plays where teams are given a scenario and have to present solutions to a judge.

Good luck to the Eaglecrest DECA team at their district competition!