Basketball Summer Programs

Aiyanna Jackson, Reporter

Over the summer, both girls and boys held open gyms for new, or returning basketball players. In these summer programs, you go through conditioning and training. To find out about these programs you can look for their flyers, typically by the locker rooms and cafeteria, or you can look on Twitter @EaglecrestHoops and @LadyRaptorHoops. 

Don’t worry if you are a freshman either, they also do a pre-season meeting for all new freshmen interested in basketball. Also, both teams do a Basketball Skills Camp. In this camp they teach players 3rd-9th grade the basics of basketball, like ball handling and defensive skills from current and previous players. 

The teams also have their own summer camp where the team and coach come together to reflect on their past season, and how they can improve. 

When asking the boys basketball coach Krapcha, “How would you describe your previous season?”, he answered “unsatisfying” because he felt that his team could have made it to the playoffs if they had more people making shots and better offense. 

When asking the girls coach, Gabrielli, the same question he said, “frustrating”, only because the team showed potential to be great, but weren’t consistent. 

However, over the summer, both coaches made it a point to work on their offense and just making sure that everyone knew the different roles on the team. Also, they made sure that their team worked on skill development and just becoming closer together as a team. 

The varsity boys team really bonded this summer as the played in their tournaments in Phoenix, Arizona coming back with a record of 2-2. The girls team also bonded this summer by traveling to Colorado Mesa, where they have a record of 7-3 and came in second in their division.