New Coach, New Beginnings

Varsity football head coach, Garrett Looney.

Eaglecrest High School website

Tersa Bitew, Reporter

The EHS football team has started their season off with a new coach. This year followed with some controversy with the former football coach retiring, however Garrett Looney, dean at EHS recently became the new head coach of the football team this season.

The Varsity team has overshadowed every school they’ve played, winning all four of their games consistently, making them undefeated. Their first game (August 24th)  against Highlands Ranch was a great accomplishment, they beat the Falcons 49 to 35. Following their win, the Raptors simultaneously conquered the Trojans of Fountain-Fort Carson scoring 55 to 41 on August 31st.

Yet again, Friday September 7th, the Raptors utterly destroyed the Rocky Mountain Lobos scoring 46 while they scored no points that night. Their most recent game was September 14th, playing against the Legacy Lightning’s. Our team completely dominated Legacy scoring over double their points that night.

Although Garrett Looney recently joined the football community, he has encouraged success. Coach Looney has really been preparing his players on and off the field, whether it is during practice or during games,  he says “The players in general have been doing an amazing job leading their season into success and are constantly working hard during practices and games.”

The season has been very dominant. To help them prepare them for games they focus on what they can do to help them benefit and win. The players have prepared for games by focusing on what the opponent does well then learning how to attack their weaknesses. They also have ways to help them strategize ways to help them plan their wins. On Thursday’s before our Friday games the Raptors break into small groups and focus on our theme for the week.  Looney mentions that, “This usually involves a small reading and reflection and allows the players to think about life and their future and reflect on why they play football and who is the important people in their lives.” Practice is all about alignment and assignment.  Making sure the players know what the opponent will do and executing the game-plan.

Coach Looney says,

“The players are pushed everyday we practice and play in a game.  

— Coach Looney

They are pushed to compete to the best of their ability and to play as a team every Friday night.  They are pushed to be student athletes and be great in the classroom and to be leaders in the school and community.”

They also have a ritual on game nights, On Thursday’s before Friday games we break into small groups and focus on our theme for the week.  This usually involves a small reading and reflection and allows the players to think about life and their future and reflect on why they play football and who is the important people in their lives.

Looney says, “ Overall the season has been great so far.  As we start into our league schedule we know we have a lot of work to do and we know that we need to work to get better everyday.”

The Raptors next game will be  Friday, Oct 12 at 7:00 PM and they will be facing the Cherry Creek Bruins.