Bear Wraps Paws Around Scholarship

As the school year begins, seniors are all being asked what the next step is after high school. With endless possibilities, there is so much that can be accomplished. As for Barrett Miller, he knows that he’s going to Stanford University in the fall of 2019 on a football scholarship.  

Miller has been a committed athlete and student here at Eaglecrest. For the past four years, he has played varsity football and is our starting offensive linemen. He has pushed himself academically to be the best student and athlete he can be.

His motivation to excel, combined with his hard work, has helped bring Miller the opportunities he has now. He is ranked number four in the state for football and was a first team All-State selection in the last season. He was also ranked 47th offensive linemen in the country.

“Academics was really my portal, so I looked at Duke and Northwestern, but I really felt my choice was somewhere I could achieve on the field and [in] the classroom. My best option was Stanford,” replied Miller.

Miller has also set a high academic standard for himself. He is a part of multiple honors societies and has prioritized his education in order to set himself up for opportunities such as a full ride to Stanford.  

Other schools have also offered Miller scholarship opportunity and playing time on the field.  Oklahoma State University, University of Michigan, Colorado University of Boulder, Duke University, and University of California  in Los Angeles are some schools that have also given Miller offers.

“I have worked very hard on and off the field just for the moment when a school like Stanford might come calling,” Miller stated in his commitment announcement.

In the process of committing to a college, Miller said that he was considering the academic opportunity he would be receiving as well as the school’s football program. He had received offers from 13 different schools and took into careful consideration what each one could offer him.

Stanford made Miller an offer on May 5th and he went to an unofficial visit to the campus in Palo Alto, California on July 28th. Miller officially committed to Stanford on August 9th. Although he had many options, Stanford is Miller’s dream school when it comes to academics and football.

“I never knew that out of all the kids that they decline they would ask me and have a full offer. I was breathless in that moment. I couldn’t process it that day,” Miller stated in regard to the Stanford scholarship.

Miller’s work on the field had benefited Eaglecrest during our 2017-2018 season. Varsity football reached the state title last year and expects to do the same this year.

He feels that his teachers from Elementary school to high school have helped him connect with him and motivated him in his academics. Miller said that he has had a supportive community that has brought him this far.

“When my teachers connected with me something clicked and it got me really interested in academics and it motivated me to do better,” Miller stated.

Millers commitment to excel in what he’s passionate about has landed him a full ride scholarship to the school of his dreams. His passion and drive has lead him to success. His hard work has finally paid off.