EHS Football Coach Abruptly Resigns

Dustin+Delaney+pictured+as+EHS+football+Coach+

Picasa

Dustin Delaney pictured as EHS football Coach

Aliya Getchell, Reporter

Dustin Delaney resigns from being the head football coach at Eaglecrest.

The PE/Health teacher posted his letter of resignation on his official Twitter account on August 29th. Because this occurred two days before the Varsity team was headed to play Fountain Fort Carson, the offensive coordinator, Garrett Looney, has taken over as head coach. Looney is a new dean to the school and has had a tremendous responsibility given to him.

Delaney states his in letter, “I can no longer coach these fine young men because it is not healthy for me, my family, or for the team.” He further explains how the practice fields are unsafe for players and that two players have gotten knee injuries from stepping in potholes made by the sprinkler heads. The lack of cleanliness in the locker rooms and weight room is also mentioned throughout.

His wife, Heidi Delaney, also teaches at Eaglecrest as a science teacher. In his letter, he addresses the lack of resources he’s noticed in her classroom as well. However, the heart of his resignation largely deals with the CCSD district as a whole. He expresses that during his time at Eaglecrest, “

Dustin Delaney

— All I have seen is a decaying school district where no one takes accountability and everyone shifts the blame for not having work done.

His frustrations were met with a flood of comments from teachers, news outlets, students, and the school he taught at last year. Before he came to Eaglecrest, Delaney worked at Shawnee Mission East High School. He was the head football coach for 5 years, ultimately transforming their football program and winning the state championship title. In November of 2017, Delaney resigned from his coaching position once the football season came to an end. Due to such similar circumstances between his time in Kansas and here, much speculation has surfaced.

Despite these rumors, we must face facts. Dustin Delaney will continue to teach at Eaglecrest, along with his wife, and continue to support the Raptor community in other ways.

Delaney declares, “I hope this letter and my resignation jump-start the fixes that our students deserve… We are jeopardizing kids futures with district negligence.”

There will be  a more in depth coverage on this story  in the future as we receive more information.  There’s a poll down below that you can take and leave a comment ; we want to hear YOUR opinions.