DECA Prepares for State

Suendus Qureshi, Reporter

The annual DECA competition unites students through the use of team bonding and helps  them prepare for the 2017-18 state competition on February 25th.

As time gets closer, marketing students are preparing written projects to go to the State DECA Conference. This is where young business students bring their “A game” to hopefully take their idea to Nationals. These prestigious students are seen as individual professionals in competitions, but in reality need each other to succeed.

This year, students have been preparing differently by, as Netherly Manucci says, “Research, research, research,” to “know facts and help with [their] projects.”

Keshaun Taylor, third year marketing student and DECA personality, got a perfect score on his Roleplay Event in Entrepreneurship.

Like most DECA competitors, Taylor is very studious, but still knows how to make the most of marketing.

“I’m excited for the work before. I feel like if I put in enough work beforehand, I should see good results at State and qualify for nationals, and hopefully become a national champion.”

Though most of these are individual events, students couldn’t have achieved their awards without team support.

Gracie Guenzel, a DECA officer, says “We work with our classmates to get feedback and ideas on our written projects.”

Taylor talks more about prep nights, “We have prep nights before we have competitions, where everyone comes in and works on [projects].

We get help with ideas and tests. We order pizza, listen to music, and just have a good time.”

From students to teachers, it seems like everyone is eager to get to the State Competition.

Everyone has worked hard trying to qualify for Nationals, whether it was on their roleplays or written projects.

Wyatt Haman, an active DECA member, says that he is, “…looking forward to our State Competition and the Broadmoor. We get three course meals, to hang out, compete, and have fun.”

Manucci, loves “the opening ceremonies… our officers going up and getting to speak, and just having a weekend away from the school and bonding.” DECA students repeatedly describe the team as is a family.

When asked about how bonding affects the team, Manucci explained, “When you have a team that is working hard, if not harder, you’re more motivated to rise to the top, so bonding and creating a family, that Mrs. Blechar and I tried to create, I think helps everyone feel more confident as a whole instead of being a lone soldier.”

Guenzel talks about how they “hang out when [they] can to get closer together and be like a family.”

Overall, DECA is not solely a way for students to “build a smart future,” but a way to connect students that are interested in striving and winning, as teams and individually.