Star of the Show: Winter Art 2017

Emma Lovato, News Editor

Eaglecrest’s bi-annual art show was held on Wednesday, December 7th in the library from 5:00 to 6:30. The event, occuring once at the end of each semester, serves as a means to showcase the artistic talent of students participating in visual arts classes.

“It makes me feel vulnerable,” junior Veronica Goetz said of her work being displayed, “but at the same time it’s cool because people get to see what’s going on inside my head.”

The students featured weren’t only limited to what they could do on a canvas, anything from graphic design to cardboard sculpture was displayed.

“I did a lot of mixed media stuff last year,” said senior Vivienne Blanco, “This year I’m trying to get more painting done because I’m not super comfortable with it, and I’m trying to get out of my comfort zone.”

Culinary arts weren’t ignored either. Students from Eaglecrest’s gourmet foods class catered the event and were able to showcase their cooking skills by providing cheese plates, meatballs, and miniature pies for the students and families in attendance.

“People come for the beautiful art, and then you also get to show them the food,” said senior Maurice Baugh, who helped prepare the appetizers. “The fact that I made it makes it feel even better that people enjoy it.”

Students from all levels of art classes had the chance to featured.

“In the beginning of the semester you’re teaching them all that you have to teach them so they can build up to make really good work at the end,” said art teacher Laura Hamilton.

The library is no stranger to hosting events like these, and the staff loves to show off what they have to offer, while displaying student work.

“We really feel that the library is one of the nicest spaces in the building,” said librarian Kristin McKeown, “Anything that brings more students and faculty down is good for us.”

Senior Elizabeth Lassard, who has several ceramic pieces displayed, summarizes her love of the art show.

“I feel like the arts don’t get enough recognition, so it’s really cool for twice a year for people to come to the library to see everything.”