Eaglecrest Football Games (10/16 & 10/23)

David Wetzel, Reporter

Two games.Two nail-biting endings. One ending in joy and cheer. The other ending with a wave of disappointment. Regardless, the Eaglecrest Varsity Football Team has played amazingly this season.

October 16- Eaglecrest played one of their last away games at Stutler Bowl facing Overland for their homecoming game. Eaglecrest managed to get 12 points within the first three quarters, taking the lead against the rival team. However, at the end of the fourth quarter, Overland scored their way up to 12 as well, taking away both the lead and the sureness of Eaglecrest’s team. Tension filled the air as overtime was negotiated. On both sides, a swell of pride and anticipation rose as the representatives from each team made their way to the middle of the field. And finally, the overtime began. With Overland starting, they scored a point right off the bat, sending their crowd into a frenzy and leaving Eaglecrest’s stand in a stunned silence. But it doesn’t end there. As Eaglecrest’s turn approached, a rush of excitement came as they progressed through the short and thrilling period. Eaglecrest scored two more points, taking the win 14-13. An overjoyed Eaglecrest left Overland in a stunned silence.

October 23- The electrifying Friday night right before Fall Break held a lot at stake. Not only was it the last home game for Eaglecrest, but senior night was that night as well. Playing against one of their main rivals, Cherokee Trail High School, enthusiasm was radiating throughout the arena. Cheers could be heard from both team’s student sections, and the game kept people on the edge of their seats. During the game, there was constant commotion and tension. Both teams played amazingly, with touchdowns coming from both teams and leads being taken from one another. While Eaglecrest was starting to prevail in the first half, Cherokee Trail came in during the second to take charge. Pressure increased as the scores got closer and closer. Closing up the game, Cherokee Trail had a one point lead over Eaglecrest at 38-37, but Eaglecrest had one more field goal to attempt. Intensity was building and anxiousness was rising. As the ball was kicked, screams were released. It missed, leaving Eaglecrest’s last home game a disappointing but well-played game.