Girls that Swish Together, Win Together

Richon Neal, Reporter

February 3, the Eaglecrest Girls’ Basketball team will go head-to-head with the Arapahoe Girls’ Basketball team at Mullen High at 2pm.

On Friday, January 19 the Eaglecrest Girls varsity team took on the Smoky Hill Buffaloes.

Going into the game, the Eaglecrest girls were looking to start the second half of the season strong.

Coach Gabrielli was asked about his expectations going into the second half of the season.

“Well being we’re fully healthy for the first time since the beginning of the year, my expectations are that we play a whole lot better,” he said.

“The injuries had such a negative effect on our season overall and it’s hard for any of us to overlook that,” Gabrielli added.

When asked about their second half of the season, the girls were excited about playing teams that they’ve lost to and playing exponentially better than they did in the first half.

They were very impressed with their ability to all collectively work together  and stay focused.

Members of the team went on to add that they are looking forward to second chances to play against schools they had previously lost to.

Game day at Smoky Hill High School began with lots of tension carrying over from the Raptors’ tough loss last year.

Even though most would not consider the Buffaloes to be one of Eaglecrest’s rivals, the game was very competitive.

The first half was completely dominated by the Raptors with 34 points and the Buffaloes scoring  13.

The Eaglecrest domination continued as the third quarter ended with a highlight three-pointer from Raquel Turner,  making the score 50-17.

The game ended and Eaglecrest won by more than 40 points with a final score of  66-21. Eaglecrest built off of strong players who dominated the game.

Raquel Turner had 14 points, two rebounds, and four steals.

Trechell Williams contributed 13 points, four rebounds, and four steals.

Jordan Stoner put in four rebounds and  two assists.  And Alyssa Sandoval-Jimenez’s had a near double-double of seven points and nine rebounds.

The  Raptor ladies look forward to the rest of their season.