Pitch Perfect

Leo Nibbe, Reporter

The softball season may have come to a close, but it  finished stronger than ever.           

All of the players worked hard and played especially well this year, but one of them rose to the top, and you may have heard of her: Kailey Wilson.

With a batting average of .735 and 10 homers this last game, this varsity softball player rose to the first team, 5A, and was named player of the year. Kailey is very proud to have achieved the title, and is:

“Glad that my accomplishments were recognized. I’m really glad that they picked me as the player of the year.”

Kailey is a veteran softball player, and claimed:

“I’ve been playing softball for about 9 years now.”

Those 9 years of playing have ingrained softball into her head. It is more than  a sport for her.

There are many things she enjoys about playing the sport, hitting the ball, manning first base, and all the other aspects of the game, but she enjoys the teamwork and bond she has with her teammates.

“I just like how the team really works together. We all have to count on each other.”

There are some obstacles that even the best of players must face to reach the top. Kailey suffered from a knee injury the season previous to this last.

She pushed through with vigor, made her way through rehab, and she came back even stronger than before.

“I knew I was going to be able to play softball again. I just wanted to get my rehab out of the way so I could get back on the field with my teammates.” Wilson said.

Kailey is a senior, and is therefore planning on continuing her softball career after high school.

She scored a scholarship to play university softball. And as for those who wish to accomplish great things as she did, and this applies to not only younger softball players, but really anyone wanting to do their best in any sport, Kailey says to:

“Just keep putting in the hard work…No matter how hard you work, someone’s going to  notice, and you can always find a scholarship to play even after high school.”