The student news site of Eaglecrest High School

EHS Nest Network

EHS Nest Network

EHS Nest Network

A Spotlight on Priscilla

Raptors’ opinions on the new movie Priscilla, which highlights her life and experience being married to Elvis Presley.
Junior Connie Runberg is enjoying his free time in class by watching the Priscilla movie (Sophia Mower).

The noteworthy film Priscilla has grossed over $29 million worldwide and revealed the true story and perspective behind the famous Elvis Presley’s longtime wife and supporter, Pricsilla Presley.  This film explains when Priscilla and Elvis first met, their marriage, their affairs, their divorce, and their unbreakable bond that maintained throughout their hardships.

The hit film was based off of the 1985 memoir Elvis and Me by Pricilla Beaulieu Presley and Sandra Harmon.  Many fans wondered if she approved of this film.  After seeing the film, Priscilla voiced her opinion on it.  “I was very concerned about this movie,” Presley said to People magazine.  “I think it’s right on, to be honest with you.”  

“I was really surprised that Priscilla was only a 14 year old freshman in high school, and Elvis was a 24 year old upcoming superstar when they met,” said senior Addie Mower.  “You would never see a relationship with that kind of age gap today.”

Priscilla’s parents were very nervous about her moving in with him and beginning a romantic relationship with someone who was so much older than her.  Today, parents with a high schooler would probably not let them date anyone who is an adult, or anyone who is even 2+ years older than them.  Some high school students themselves follow the belief that they should not date another person if their grade does not touch yours, or if they are not in the same grade as you.

Mower and many others believe that Elvis was too old to be attempting to dive into a relationship with a 14 year old freshman in high school. Since they fell in love in the ‘50s, the different ways that Elvis could assert dominance or Priscilla and her life were questionable.  It was widely believed that their age gap led to their split up because Elvis was more mature than Priscilla, which led to imbalances in the health of their relationship.

“I definitely think that Elvis should have treated Priscilla better,” said freshman Kamryn Cobb.  “He didn’t let her be anything but his wife.”

Elvis had a dark side that not many people knew about. He threw chairs at Priscilla and abused her when she did not act exactly how he wanted her to.  He would drink too much alcohol and take pills.  Today’s society, and especially high school students, would have a harder time accepting disrespect from their partner because we have learned to remember our worth and fight for what we believe is right.

“Jacob Elordi and Cailee Spaery both did a really good job acting,” said freshman Sophie Salvador.  “I feel like Jacob Elordi playing Elvis advertised the movie really well and made people want to watch it more.”

Elordi is a very popular actor and has acquired a very large fanbase over the years.  His acting is more appealing to adolescents because of his charisma and the way he creates sticks to today’s popular trends.  Because of this, he has a great influence on the Gen Z population.

The Priscilla movie is very popular among the EHS community and has influenced our students to embrace their own worth and power,  just like Priscilla did.  Be sure to watch it and share your opinions with other Raptors!