Trivia Night

Starting homecoming week off with an intense and exciting game of trivia… But who was going to win?

Groups wait patiently for the night to begin. (Ren Hotzfeld)

Homecoming Week: a week of fun events after and during school, all topped off with a three hour-long dance at the end of the week. This Monday, October 4th, the daily after school events started with Trivia Night, sponsored by the Speech and Debate team. The entire upper – right side of the cafeteria filled with students who believed their group was the smartest – or, not at all, and they were simply going to the event for the fun of the night. 

Round One started strong at 7pm with a “Name That Tune” category. Within each category were five ‘clues’ given to the players, and they would write their answers down on a slip of paper and turn it in at the end of the category. The six clues displayed included lyrics from “Old Town Road” by Lil Nas X, “Welcome to the Black Parade” by My Chemical Romance, and even “Drag me Down” by One Direction. 

Round Two kicked off after a short break with the category of Pop Culture, including clues such as “Who performed at the most recent Super Bowl?”, the answer being The Weeknd, “Which famous celebrity named their child X Æ A-12?” – answer: Elon Musk –  and “How many grandchildren are in the Kardashian family?”, which was ten. Many groups seemed to be stumped by the Kardashian question. 

As phones were allowed during the breaks, students googled the clues to see if they were right about their answers. (Ren Hotzfeld )

Quickly, the games continued onto Round Three: TV & Movies. Questions in this category were particularly about popular films that students may have seen: Spider-Man, Marvel’s The Avengers, Mean Girls, and even the star of Tuesday’s Movie Night, Shrek. Students flew by this category, dashing to jot down their responses and turn in their slips of paper. 

The second to last category was upon them: Social Media. This category consisted of questions that focused on some social media app’s purpose, such as the notification of screenshots on Snapchat or the length of TikTok videos, and others focused on statistical data such as who created the Renegade and the most followed account on Twitter (which is, surprisingly, Barack Obama!) 

After the answers were counted once more, they began Round Five, the final round. The category was…Scandals. With captivating questions such as “What iconic line was given by Kanye West after interrupting Taylor Swift in the 2009 VMAs”, and “What did Lori Loughlin bribe her daughter into attending?”, the students thoroughly enjoyed the category and hoped for their success in this final round. 

Students listen to the rules being told to them. (Ren Hotzfeld )

After a lengthy break, the points were counted and the winners were decided. The students waited quietly while Ms. McCulloch, the speech and debate sponsor, announced a surprising twist.There was a tie, between Group 22 and 27! 

A spokesperson for each team was sent to the front of the cafeteria to answer one final, tie breaking question: “What US state has the most islands?” A tricky question indeed. The first answer you may think of is Hawaii, but in fact, the answer is Alaska. 

Group 27 had answered with the latter, leaving Group 22 to the place behind them. The winners had cheered and jeered, but Ms. McCulloch unleashed another surprise to the students and the group: they were in third place, not first.

Still delighted at their higher standings, the Group 27 collected their rewards and waited for second place to be announced. With 32 points, Group 6 came in second place, receiving Eaglecrest-branded mugs and coffee cups as their reward.

Finally, the first place winner was announced, earning a Dion’s Gift Card for each member and some more Eaglecrest gear. The winner was Group 30, with 34 points! And with that, the 2021 Homecoming Trivia Night was concluded after a grueling – yet fantastically entertaining- two hours.