Rocky Mountain Showdown 2016

Administrators repping their CU and CSU gear.      The staff members at Eaglecrest High School threw down for the Rocky Mountain Showdown game that took place at Sports Authority Stadium on Friday, September 2, 2016. This football game featured Colorado’s very own college rival Colorado State University and the University of Colorado at Boulder. Here at “The Nest”, staff members participated in a friendly competition in which each member chose a team to donne the day before the Showdown. Multiple faculty members repped their university’s apparel following an email invitation from Principal Gwen Hansen-Vigil initiating a friendly rivalry.

Whichever team the staff member chose to represent they gained access to the special team room that imitated the tailgate parties that take place before the game. During these parties, the staff intervened with each other over food, clips of previous Showdown games, and common competitive sportsmanship.

As Coloradans, choosing a team to side with was the hardest part. Some staff members had a distinguished team that they’d side with prior to the event.

“My husband went to CSU, so having CU things in our house is definitely not allowed,” counselor Jen Johnson said as she sported the Rams.

CSU rubs off on majority of the Eaglecrest High School, including the staff members who attended both universities, such as social studies teacher, Faith Vigil, and technology teacher, Steve Smith.

However, that factor didn’t stop some members from joining the underdogs. In fact, Assistant Principal John Madden stays loyal to the Buffs because of his connections to the University through his completion of Grad school. Madden describes the two schools as a “little brother big brother” relationship.

Alongside of Madden resides Jim Curran, Media/Technology Coordinator. When asked why he chose to root the buffs on, Curran reveals that he has “a natural affinity for supporting the institution [he] attended, that gave [him] so much. He includes, “even if you weren’t necessarily into the sporting aspects of the school [like Mr. Curran himself] it’s that inherent loyalty” that factors into why he chose the Buffs over the Rams.

“I received an amazing education from them, I transfer that over into my loyalty,” he said.

On the flip side, marketing teacher Brittany Blechar has an extensive connection to Colorado State University. To her, “It didn’t matter about the football game, it was the camaraderie that meant the most.”

“I chose CSU over CU because I liked the vibe better. I felt like there was more growth happening at CSU,” she said, “I’ve stayed a really good alumni, and I [was on the committee to] build the new stadium. I think they offer really great opportunities to students. They give lots of students with all different backgrounds a chance.”

Last year CSU attained a 27-24 overtime-win over CU, while this year CU shut the the Rams out with a 7-44 win.