The student news site of Eaglecrest High School

EHS Nest Network

EHS Nest Network

EHS Nest Network

The Life of Swimmers and Divers

An insight into why EHS girls join the Swim & Dive Team.
Jaclyn Do on the blocks before going to race against Cherokee Trail with teammate Vanessa Jorgensen on the sideline to support. (Skyla Mazotti)

Waking up, going through school and getting in the pool for a two hour workout is an everyday routine for  Eaglecrest Girls Swimmers and Divers. Swimming and driving  is one of the sports where a lot of people say “I can’t do it,” or “ I don’t know how to do it,” but there are girls at Eaglecrest that have overcome that mindset and go to practice everyday. 

Many of these athletes are determined to do their best for themselves and their team and the bonds made along the way make the hard work worth it. 

“I really liked the team, the connections that I made and I liked how challenging it was,” said Kennedy Bell, a Sophomore at Eaglecrest. 

The swim team waiting on the bleachers to support the divers. (Skyla Mazotti)

Other swimmers and divers on the team act as family and close friends.  There are many reasons why athletes join a sport, and just like every sport, there are a lot of positives from sticking with an activity for so long. 

“I’ve been swimming since I was really little,” said Isabella Montalvo. 

With sports, it’s not just about why you joined or why you stay, but it’s also about the memories that come with the sport.

“My favorite memory is the team’s annual white elephant exchange that we do for the holidays,” said Montalvo. 

Every year, this exchange that takes place around the holidays to celebrate the team is something that everyone looks forward to. Throughout the swim season there are many different traditions to make them closer and more of a team. Even though swimming is seen as an individual sport, Eaglecrest makes swimming more of a team sport, with all of the yelling and support that takes place when their teammates are swimming.

“Just practice with my teammates and just like fooling around all over. It’s just a fun sport,” said Ariun Battumur. 

For those that choose to swim and those that choose to dive, the different sports bring many different experiences.

“One of my favorite memories is A leagues, it’s always really fun,” said team captain and Senior Cylee  Karabell. 

Every swimmer and diver is striving to get to go to A Leagues by the end of the season, which is a championship for Varsity swimmers. This year, 22 of EHS swimmers and 2 EHS divers made it to the championship. A Leagues is a great accomplishment, and making it past A Leagues gets you to state. This year 11 EHS swimmers made it to state and followed the tradition to dye their hair red to represent the team.

For all coming 9th graders or any people who want to join swim and dive, Bell sees the sport and team in a very positive light. 

“I would definitely recommend it to any ninth grader. It’s just something that you have to put effort into. It’s not something that you can just come to practice and expect to just be put in a meet. You have to put the effort forward for you. You have to like to try as hard as you can and put as much might as you can,” said Bell. 

After getting insight on the team and the sport, it is clear that anyone could find a family and make good friends that will last a lifetime and that EHS Girls Swimming is a strong team that every school needs.