The student news site of Eaglecrest High School

EHS Nest Network

EHS Nest Network

EHS Nest Network

2024 Spring Sports Preview

Insight, provided by coaches, into predictions and expectations for some of EHS’ spring sports this year.

Boys Volleyball: 

Even with a number of injuries, EHS boys volleyball had a great season last spring, and are looking to build on the momentum they had built near the end of the year. Going into the 2023 State Tournament, the team was ranked 7th, but after upsetting both Cherokee Trail and Valor, the boys finished 2nd in the state. Key returners to EHS boys volleyball include sophomore defensive specialist Ashton Bond, junior middle blocker Matthew Dye, sophomore setter Dillan Ancheta, junior outside hitter Jackson Shaw, and senior setter Yupeng Lee. Head coach Chad Bond is expecting Cherry Creek and Grandview to be much improved competition and is also excited to play the teams EHS boys volleyball beat at the State Tournament last year. “We will be looking forward to seeing both Cherokee Trail and Valor, as they are always tough and fun competition,” said Bond.

Track & Field: 

The 2023 track & field season was one for the books, as the girls took home a 5th place team finish at the 5A State Championships, making that the highest team finish by the girls program in EHS history. The boys also had a fantastic season, as they broke the 22-year-old school record in the 4x100m Relay and took home the League Title over Grandview, the defending State Champs. Given the amount of loss that the program faced last year, these results are incredible, and Coach Chris Carhart predicts even better results for the 2024 season. “We believe our girls to be one of the top contenders to bring home the 5A State Championship this year,” said Carhart. Leaders among the girls program include Junior Jaylynn Wilson (2x State Champion), senior Rachel Carlsen, junior Kaitlynn Hendrian, and freshmen Zenobia Witt. Carhart also has high hopes for the boys, and expects a Top-5 finish at State this year. The boys program will be lead by Jeffery Poku, Cam Chapa, Cole Camp, Jonas Cummings, Peter Ames, Savon Johnson, Bezalel Tizazu, Wynton Zhang, and juniors Thierry Asare, Pierce Martinez, Eric Hill, and Xavier Waldron. Carhart is looking forward to traveling to Hayward Field at the University of Oregon in April for the Oregon Relays. 

Baseball: 

With a young varsity team last season, EHS baseball barely missed the playoffs, with 11 wins and 12 losses. Even with an inexperienced varsity team last year, the group still finished 4th in the Centennial League. Head coach Tory Humphrey is looking forward to leading the team in his 13th year at Eaglecrest, with the help from key returners, such as senior outfielder John Rossi (All-League and All-State player last year), senior catcher Brayden Stufft (All-League player last year), junior pitcher Connor Brennan (All-League player last year), junior third basemen Noah Brown (All-League player last year), junior pitcher and outfielder Cosme Vera, junior shortstop Tavish Dey, and senior utility player Jose Hernandez. Key games for the team this season include the home opener on March 16th against Northern Powerhouse and a rivalry game against Cherokee Train at Coors Field on April 12th, which is free to the public. 

Girls Golf: 

Last year Savanna Becker led EHS girls golf, as she qualified for the State Championship, was a Top 20 5A Golfer, and a 2x Centennial League First-Team player. With Becker graduating, Head coach John Olander is looking forward to having junior Marianne Hwang return, with two years of varsity experience under her belt. Senior Makenna Skinner is another varsity returner to EHS girls golf and the 2024 season will be her second year playing varsity for the whole season. 

Girls Lacrosse: 

Going 2-12 last season, EHS girls lacrosse is looking forward to a better year while being led by head coach Amanda Sehres, senior midfielder Marissa Nichols, senior attackmen Ellery Hesseltine, junior midfielder Kathy Hoang, and sophomore defenseman Jayden Happold. Sehres and the team are looking forward to their key games against Palmer High School, Overland High School, and Rangeview High School, and encourage any additional girls looking to play to join them on February 26th for their first day of practice. No experience is necessary, and anyone is more than welcome to join EHS girls lacrosse. 

Girls Tennis: 

In 2022, EHS girls tennis had 3 varsity singles players graduate, but Coach Maggie Pooler was extremely pleased with the amount of new players who tried out during the 2023 season, stepped up to the varsity level, and learned more about the game. The team will be led by senior Kate Stephens who spent 2023 at one doubles, and Pooler is looking forward to seeing her in a similar position with a new partner. Sophomore Natali Marshall will be another player to watch as she fought hard for a spot as a freshman and earned it. Pooler sees the amount of returning, more experienced players as an opportunity for growth for EHS girls tennis. “This season, I think we have a lot of potential to grow as a team now that we have more returning varsity players,” said Pooler.

Senior leader Kate Stephens serving during a 2023 match (Georgia Lujan).