A Sea of Red

Simone Beauchamp, Reporter

Homecoming week at Eaglecrest would not be complete without the homecoming parade and the accompanying Nest Fest. It’s an opportunity for clubs to be represented and for viewers and participants alike to experience the exuberant spirit of the school. 

“I think it really shows Raptor pride,” said Samara Schoch, explaining how her involvement in the parade makes her feel more connected to Eaglecrest and its community.

By 4:30 on September 19, a crowd has gathered around Timberline Elementary, where the parade is kicked off by the marching band’s chant of “EHS”. And so the procession begins with the marching band, followed by the football team as it weaves its way from Timberline down to Picadilly St, parading up the hill to end in the Eaglecrest parking lot. 

A variety of clubs and athletics participate in the parade, exhibiting their separate personalities through their floats and their chants as they proceed down the street. Cheer, lacrosse, french club, GSA, and girls soccer are just a few of the Eaglecrest activities represented in the parade, each displaying their creative interpretation of this year’s homecoming theme, Game On. 

Student Leadership director Rashaan Davis said, “I personally think it’s this great opportunity to showcase the best of what we do here, which is create this environment for fun and academics.”

Art Club paraded past as a colorful deck of cards, each student having created their own card design to make a unique yet cohesive group. Meanwhile, the class of 2020 took the theme in a different direction with a pink and white Candyland float. 

“I felt very involved just being a part of it,” added Bri Mullen, a freshman who was walking for her first time in the parade. 

Not only is it a chance for Eaglecrest students to get involved, but also for students at Timberline Elementary, who can engage with the high school, lining the streets as the floats roll through. A group of Thunder Ridge Middle School students who are apart of the schools peer leadership program also march alongside Eaglecrest students, bold yellow signs proudly spelling out TRMS. 

However, such an organized event cannot simply appear out of thin air. 

Davis explained that preparing for the parade and Nest Fest is about “contacting the clubs that are going to be part of it, it’s making sure we’ve got a great lineup… it’s creating that street party atmosphere.” 

He goes on to describe the spirit and excitement of the students that manifests itself in the “sea of red”, making all the planning entirely worthwhile.

Nest Fest feeds off of the energy from the parade, beginning with a short pep assembly in which the cheer and dance teams perform. The festival is a place where the Raptor community comes together to celebrate the parade, homecoming week, and the community itself.

“I think that it is really helpful for the school to get our spirit up right before homecoming,” says senior Austyn Owenson, who has roller-skated in the parade for three years, representing GSA.

With food, music, and even an inflatable obstacle course, Nest Fest gives off a carnival-like atmosphere. It’s an atmosphere that speaks of the coming weekend and is a precursor to the coming football game and dance that will finish off Eaglecrest’s 2019 homecoming week.