Wrestling for Change

Huria Taj, Reporter

Girls wrestling is officially a high school sport. Because of this, girls now can join and get scholarships as well as CHSAA recognitions. As for the Eaglecrest community, all thanks goes to Sparky Adair, Social Studies teacher, and girls wrestling coach.

Adair was recently named “Coach of the Year” by the National Coaches Association. This recognition not only puts our school ahead of the rest, but more importantly, shows that Adair’s coaching pays off, and the girls’ efforts aren’t going unnoticed. 

When asked about his thoughts on the recognition, Adair says “For me, it is exciting to be recognized by the National coaches association and the recognition is for the work I put in to get girls wrestling sanctioned by our sports body CHSAA.  Girls wrestling is growing extremely fast across the country and I just helped girls in Colorado have opportunities to be recognized for their efforts”. 

Though not all the credit can go solely to Adair. Lots of things took place behind the scenes that lead to his recognition. Some of the credit going to Larry Bull, for allowing Adair to become a coach for the Cherry Creek School District. “What the Cherry Creek School District did with the leadership of Larry Bull was allow me to coach all of the girls from our district, so I am proud of all the girls and their efforts”.

If anyone is interested in joining, or simply learning more about Girls Wrestling, feel free to go to an upcoming meeting in fall. It truly is an opportunity for females in the CCSD community to flourish, and to expand their options when it comes to sports.