500 Year-Old Genius on Display

Tyler Nelson, Reporter

In early April of 2019, the Denver Museum of Nature and Science announced its newest installation exhibit. The museum frequently hosts installations on its top floors for months long periods, this time from March 1st to August 25th, the museum has been home to Leonardo da Vinci: 500 Years of Genius. The exhibition has been declared the most comprehensive exhibit of Leonardo da Vinci’s work in the modern day, according to the Denver Nature and Science website there.

The exhibit features over 70 replications of Leonardo’s inventions as featured in his codices, such feature his flying machines, military weapons, and submarine. Along with that, it features an in depth analysis of the Mona Lisa done by scientific engineer and photographer Pascal Cottee. 

When first entering you are greeted with harmonisation and music of Renaissance minstrels and scrolls upon the wall featuring Leonardo’s early childhood. In the centre of the room is replicas of da Vinci’s famous Codex Leicester, an insightful collection of scientific writings where exceptional links between art, nature, and science were explored. 

Once one exits the first room, you will be greeted by wooden recreations of some of Leonardo’s most famous inventions such as horse drawn war machines, automobiles, motion machines, and catapults. Some of the inventions are interactable, allowing patrons to turn dials and pull ropes to see how the machine would function. Along with that, every invention has the original drawing and description beside it.

Another interactable aspect of the exhibit is the catapults and the reenactors. The museum offers two catapults in which you may play with the trajectory in order to hit targets. They describe how the trajectory affects the height and distance of the machine, the science behind it, and how Leonardo discovered this and put it to use. They also offer historical reenactors whom play students and Leonardo himself, discussing the masters work and inventions, including how they were perceived in his time.

The exhibit couldn’t be considered complete if it didn’t feature the artist’s most famous inventions and works. The inventions portion features Leonardo’s famous flying machines, strung from the ceiling along with their original sketches and text, and also Leonardo’s exploration into the science of diving and submarines. Once one exits the inventions room, they are greeted with some Leonardo’s paintings and a recreation of da Vinci’s famous Mona Lisa.

The Mona Lisa features in depth examination of who the subject of the painting could be, the elements of the painting, the materials of the painting. It even goes into the initial sketch layers, the layers that have been worn away by years, and the meaning behind every element. All of which is presented with large photos and written descriptions portrayed on the walls. 

The da Vinci exhibit is one of the most in depth explorations of the genius of Leonardo featuring interactable exhibits, over 70 of Leonardo’s detailed works, and even actors. It is currently on display at the Denver Nature and Science Museum and is still currently open to the public. If interested, the exhibit closes on the 25th from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and prices are listed as below. 

TICKETS: 

Buy tickets online or call 303.370.6000. Guests pay $28.95 adult, $24.95 senior (age 65+), $20.95 junior (ages 3–18); prices include Museum admission. Members pay $7.95 adult, $6.95 senior (65+), $4.95 junior/child. Students receive 10 percent off adult admission with their ID.